Nature of the Degree
Candidates for the degree of the Doctor of Philosophy are required to pursue an approved programme of advanced study and research under supervision as enrolled students of the University. The degree of Doctor of Philosophy is awarded on the basis of the submission of a thesis. The thesis, which may include a nominated creative component, should give evidence of the candidate’s ability to carry out research, that the candidate has shown originality and independence, and that the candidate has made a significant contribution to the advancement of their particular field. The research should be of a kind which a diligent and competent student might reasonably be expected to complete within three years of full-time study.
- have some prior research experience
- are interested in a pursuing a career in research
- have a desire to make an original contribution to research in a particular field
- have a naturally inquiring mind and a desire to know more
- wish to gain an internationally recognised qualification
- want to enhance their employment opportunities.